Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1860 - 1900
Detached four-bay two-storey house, built c. 1880. Rectangular-plan, flat-roofed two-storey extension to west elevation. Pitched slate roof, cement ridge tiles, painted verge coping, painted smooth rendered corbelled chimneystacks, cast-iron gutters eaves corbel course, circular cast-iron downpipes. Painted ruled-and-lined smooth rendered walling, painted raised block-and-start vermiculated quoins to east, first floor string course, name plaque over door east elevation. Square-headed window opening, moulded render surrounds to east elevation, painted stone sills, painted timber one-over-one sliding sash windows with horns; painted metal casement window to extension. Square-headed door opening, moulded render hood moulding with label stops, painted timber door with vertical lower panels and glazed top panels, sidelights with timber transoms, plain-glazed overlight, approached by stone steps; square-headed door opening to west extension, painted timber vertically-sheeted door. Set in own grounds, yard to west, garden to east, bounded from road by painted smooth rendered wall, saddle-coping, painted wrought-iron railings, square gate piers with scalloped caps and ball finials, wrought-iron pedestrian gate.
This well-proportioned house forms an attractive feature along the main road through Omeath. Its simple form is enhanced by high quality render detailing, most noticeably the quoins, clearly the work of skilled craftsmen. The retention of sash windows adds further interest to the house, while the elegant decorated gate piers complete the site.