Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Attached three-stage stone water tower, built c. 1840, ground floor converted to office lobby with office buildings attached to east and west. Square-plan, steel tank on yellow brick corbel course. Squared roughly coursed rubble stone walling to bottom stage, red brick walling to upper stages; cut limestone plinth coping, yellow brick quoins, ashlar limestone and yellow brick string courses. Blind oculus to bottom stage, yellow brick surround; blind paired round-headed openings to second stage, block-and-start yellow brick jambs, round-arched brick archivolt. Round-headed door opening, block-and-start yellow brick jambs, round-headed rubbed brick archivolt, painted timber door with glazed panels. Two-storey random rubble store to north c. 1840.
This finely-built water tower is symbolic of the high quality craftsmanship employed in Victorian engineering projects. The variety of materials used in its construction enliven this functional building allowing it to make an attractive as well as historical contribution to maritime landscape of Greenore. Though part of the structure has been converted to office use, it continues to retain its original function as a water tower.