Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social

Original Use

Presbytery/parochial/curate's house


1895 - 1900


299866, 281917

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached three-bay two-storey parochial house, built 1898, no longer in use. L-plan, breakfront to south side of front (west) elevation. Hipped slate roof, roll-top clay ridge and hip tiles, yellow brick corbelled chimneystacks with clay pots, moulded cast-iron gutters on moulded eaves corbel course, cast-iron downpipes. Painted smooth rendered walling, chamfered plinth, moulded string course between ground and first floor. Square-headed window openings to ground floor, stone sills, aluminium casement windows, segmental-headed window openings to first floor, stone sills, painted timber one-over-one sliding sash windows; paired trefoil-headed lancet window over first floor entrance, tooled ashlar limestone surround, moulded reveals, central mullion, splayed flush sill, stained glass leaded lights. Segmental-headed door opening, moulded render surround, uPVC door, plain-glazed overlight. Situated in grounds on corner site between Drogheda Street and Lower Street; bounded by high rubble stone wall with soldiered coping, coursed rock-faced quadrant walls to square ashlar limestone entrance gate piers surmounted by stepped pyramidal capping stones, elaborate wrought-iron double gates, smaller carved stone piers set within wall with first two numerals of 1893 on east pier and last two numerals on west pier, large tooled ashlar limestone corner pier incorporated in boundary wall to north-west with inscription.


This former parochial house is prominently located on the crossroads in the village. It is enhanced by unusual details such as the dressed stone first floor coupled window and the outstanding gates and boundary wall containing inscriptions in the ashlar stonework.