Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social

Original Use

Worker's house

In Use As



1860 - 1880


318813, 311875

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached two-bay single-storey former railway worker's house, built c. 1870, now in use as private dwelling. Single-storey flat-roofed extension to west. Pitched slate roof, clay ridge tiles, yellow brick chimneystack with painted stone cap, painted timber overhanging eaves with exposed rafter ends, painted timber fascia, cast-iron gutters. Lime-washed rock-faced squared coursed stone walling. Square-headed window openings, painted block-and-start ashlar jambs, flat-arched lintels, painted stone sills, painted timber six-over-six sliding sash windows. Square-headed door opening to south elevation, painted block-and-start ashlar jambs, flat-arched lintel, uPVC door, concrete step. Set back from road in own grounds paved area to south, rubble masonry boundary wall with soldier coping to east.


This former railway worker's house is an interesting addition to the seafront in Carlingford, situated just below King John's Castle and overlooking the Lough to its east. It is an fine reminder of the quality of railway associated architecture in the nineteenth century. The fine stone work and handsome sash windows are notable features.