Categories of Special Interest
1920 - 1930
Detached three-bay two-storey over basement church hall, dated 1925. Single-storey over basement canted west wing, three-bay single-storey flat-roofed concrete-built extension to north elevation. Pitched slate roof, hipped to west, clay ridge and hip tiles, red brick corbelled chimneystacks, half-found cast-iron gutters. Unpainted concrete render to east elevation with fluted plain and panelled pilasters in three superimposed orders, blind balustrade and moulded cornice to parapet, crowned by broken semi-circular pediment with rendered date plaque to central bay, moulded render string and continuous sill courses; squared rock-faced limestone walling to north, south and west elevations. Camber-headed window openings to ground floor, moulded render surrounds; round-headed window openings to first floor, moulded render hood mouldings; square-headed window openings to north, south and west elevations, block-and-start red brick jambs, flat-arched lintels, concrete sills; painted timber one-over-one sliding sash windows. Camber-headed door opening, moulded render surround, painted timber six-panel double doors, plain-glazed overlight, flight of concrete steps to entrance, wrought-iron hand rail. Set back slightly from street, wrought-iron railings on smooth rendered plinth to east and north, enclosed yard to west, rendered boundary wall.
This building's tall Italianate façade forms an eye-catching architectural feature within the Newry Street streetscape. The imposing use of render detailing is characteristic of developments in architectural tastes during the early years of the twentieth century. The massing of differently-shaped forms and rooflines creates a distinctive west elevation and the building retains a wealth of original and early fabric. As a church hall it is also of social interest.