Categories of Special Interest
Teach Cúirte Cairlinn
In Use As
1930 - 1940
Detached three-bay single-storey court house, built c. 1935, with projecting entrance porch. Hipped artificial slate roof with stepped parapet and former air raid siren. Exposed concrete block walls having corner piers, string course and plaque with raised lettering over porch. Moulded cornice to porch. Square-headed openings with steel windows. Pair of timber panelled doors. Quadrant walls and railings flanked by square-headed pedestrian gates to north and south. Concrete steps leading to porch. Set back from street line.
This fine courthouse is representative of the Classical theme employed in public architecture in the first part of the twentieth century. Set slightly back from the street line, the flanking walls and pedestrian gates create a grand and noticeable entrance. The air raid siren on the roof is a particularly notable feature, also found on other contemporary civic buildings.