Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1730 - 1770
Attached two-bay two-storey house, built c. 1750, as a pair with the adjoining house to south. Now also in use as shop. Pitched slate roof, clay ridge tiles, smooth rendered corbelled chimneystack, cast-iron gutters on corbelled eaves course, cast-iron downpipe. Painted roughcast-rendered walling. Square-headed window openings, painted timber six-over-six sliding sash windows with no horns and exposed cases to first floor, display window to ground floor. Square-headed door opening, painted timber vertically-sheeted door. Shop interior comprised of painted timber vertically-sheeted walling, timber counter and shelving, glazed and vertically-sheeted door giving access to rear room. Street-fronted. Attached to sixteenth-century ruins to north.
This house was built as one of a pair with its neighbour to the south, and abuts the ruins of a sixteenth-century two-storey house which has a carved head on the gable to the north. It retains interesting features, such as the sash windows with exposed cases. The interior of the small shop is also worthy of note, once abundant in small Irish towns but becoming increasingly rare. This modest building is full of character and plays a positive role in the built heritage of Carlingford.