Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay two-storey house, built c. 1820, now with shop to ground floor. Integral carriage arch to north of east elevation. Pitched artificial slate roof, cement ridge tiles, unpainted smooth rendered corbelled chimneystack, moulded cast-iron gutters on moulded corbels on painted rendered fascia, cast-iron downpipe. Red brick Flemish bond walling, painted smooth rendered walling and plinth to ground floor and straight quoins to north, wrought-iron wall ties, painted lettering between first and second floors. Square-headed window openings, painted smooth rendered slightly projecting reveals and soffits, painted stone sills, gauged brick lintels, painted timber six-over-six and six-over-one sliding sash windows to first floor and three-over-three to second floor. Painted timber shopfront having panelled pilasters supporting fascia around segmental-arched recess, painted timber fixed frame display windows with margin lights; central door opening, painted timber and glazed door, overlights. Segmental-headed carriage arch giving access to west site, smooth rendered reveals and soffit, moulded kneelers, painted stone carriage stops. Street fronted.
This well-proportioned house is part of an intriguing terrace, shaped to adhere to the curve of the road and forming an important component within the streetscape of Earl Street. The survival of the sliding sash windows is also noteworthy. The arched shopfront, though parts have been replaced, is of an unusual style and the second example of this type in the terrace.