Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay three-storey former house, built c. 1820, with shop to ground floor, now with offices to upper floors. Pitched artificial slate roof, hipped to south, cement ridge and hip tiles, unpainted smooth rendered corbelled chimneystack, red brick corbelled chimneystack to south, moulded cast-iron gutters on moulded corbels on painted rendered fascia. Red brick Flemish bond walling, painted lettering between first and second floors, wrought-iron wall ties. Square-headed window openings, painted smooth rendered slightly projecting reveals and soffits, painted stone sills, gauged brick lintels, painted timber six-over-one sliding sash windows to first floor, uPVC casement windows to second floor. Painted smooth rendered shopfront, timber fascia board with hand painted lettering, moulded projecting cornice; segmental-headed recess with square-headed single-pane display window surmounted by ornate overlight, square-headed door opening to shop, quadripartite overlight, painted metal security door; square-headed door opening to north, hardwood panelled door, sidelights; tooled granite step. Round-headed door opening accessing property to north, painted timber door with moulded bottom panels and glazed top panels, stained glass fanlight. Street fronted.
This well-proportioned house is part of an intriguing terrace, shaped to adhere to the curve of the road and forming an important component within the streetscape of Earl Street. The attractive arched shopfront has beautiful detailing to its fanlight in the form of interlacing circles, giving it artistic significance. The survival of the sliding sash windows is also noteworthy.