Survey Data

Reg No

13705091


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1830 - 1850


Coordinates

304880, 307202


Date Recorded

25/07/2005


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

End-of-terrace two-bay three-storey former house, built c. 1840, with shop to ground floor, now with offices to upper floors. Single-storey concrete asphalt flat-roofed extension to south. Pitched slate roof, clay ridge tiles, stone verge coping to west, moulded stone kneelers, unpainted smooth rendered corbelled chimneystacks, moulded cast-iron gutters fixed on red brick fascia, circular cast-iron downpipe to south. Red brick Flemish bond walling, block-and-start granite quoins, painted slightly projecting stone plinth; unpainted smooth rendered ruled-and-lined and roughcast rendered walling to west and south elevations. Square-headed window openings, stone sills, gauged brick lintels, painted timber six-over-six (second floor) and six-over-one (first floor) sliding sash windows with horns; round-headed window opening to south elevation. Shopfront having painted smooth rendered pilasters supporting painted fascia board with painted lettering and painted moulded cornice, square-headed painted timber fixed frame display window on painted stall riser, painted roll-moulded stone sill; square-headed door opening, painted moulded timber frame, painted timber-and-glazed door. Street-fronted, similar buildings to east.

Appraisal

This fine terraced building has a simple, well-proportioned design which is enhanced by the retention of its sliding sash windows. The shopfront displays fine carved detailing and its early date makes it an important feature within a streetscape containing many replacement shopfronts.