Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced three-bay three-storey former house built c. 1840, later use as shop, now used as offices. Single-storey extension to south elevation. Pitched slate roof, clay ridge tiles, unpainted smooth rendered corbelled chimneystack, moulded cast-iron gutters fixed on red brick fascia. Red brick Flemish bond walling, painted brick to ground floor, painted slightly projecting plinth; unpainted roughcast rendered walling to south. Square-headed window openings, stone sills, ganged brick lintels, painted timber six-over-six timber (second floor) and six-over-one (first floor) sliding sash windows with horns. Painted timber shopfront having painted pilasters supporting fascia board and projecting moulded cornice, square-headed painted timber bipartite fixed-frame display window, pierced design on overhead painted timber panel. Round-headed door opening to west of north elevation, painted gauged brick arch, painted doorcase having fluted engaged Doric columns supporting moulded frieze and cornice, plain-glazed fanlight, painted timber raised-and-fielded two-panel door, cast-iron door furniture. Street-fronted, similar properties to east and west.
This fine terraced building has a simple, well-proportioned design which is enhanced by the retention of its sliding sash windows and elegant doorcase. The ornate cast-iron door furniture is a subtle embellishing feature.