Survey Data

Reg No

13705086


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Office


Date

1800 - 1840


Coordinates

304966, 307249


Date Recorded

25/07/2005


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced double-pile two-bay three-storey over basement former house, built c. 1820, now offices. Two-storey return to south. Pitched slate roof, clay ridge tiles, red brick corbelled chimneystack, clay pots, cast-iron gutters supported on moulded render corbels, circular cast-iron downpipe. Painted smooth rendered ruled-and-lined walling to north, smooth rendered walling to south and return. Square-headed window openings, painted smooth rendered projecting reveals and soffits, painted stone sills, painted timber two-over-two sliding sash windows. Round-headed door opening, roll-moulded smooth render soffit and reveals, engaged render Doric columns on stone plinths supporting plain frieze and projecting cornice, painted timber door with six raised-and-fielded panels, plain-glazed fanlight; tooled granite steps, wrought-iron balustrades, cast-iron newels. Set back from street behind basement, wrought-iron railings on granite plinth; stone outbuilding to south with slate roof, square- and segmental-headed openings, red brick surrounds, windows and doors.

Appraisal

This fine terraced house, one of a group of five, displays simple elegance in its design. The doorway is particularly notable, in an otherwise unadorned fa├žade with its attractive surround. The wrought-iron railings complete this site which forms an appealing addition to the streetscape.