Categories of Special Interest
Saint Patrick's Parochial House
In Use As
1800 - 1840
End-of-terrace double-pile three-bay three-storey over basement former house, built, c. 1820, now offices. Extension to south, integral carriage arch to north elevation. Pitched slate roof, clay ridge tiles, unpainted rendered corbelled chimneystack, clay pots, profiled cast-iron gutters supported on moulded render corbels, circular cast-iron downpipe. Painted smooth rendered ruled-and-lined walling to north, block-and-start render quoins, unpainted smooth rendered walling to east and south. Square-headed window openings, smooth rendered slightly projecting soffits and reveals, painted stone sills, painted timber one-over-one (ground floor and east elevation) six-over-six (first floor) and three-over-six (second floor) sliding sash windows, part of round-headed window opening surviving to south. Round-headed door opening, roll-moulded smooth render soffit and reveals, engaged render Doric columns on stone plinths supporting plain frieze and projecting cornice, painted timber door with six raised-and-fielded panels, petal fanlight; tooled limestone steps, wrought-iron balustrades with integral boot scraper, cast-iron newels. Segmental-headed carriage arch, painted dressed stone surround incorporating imposts and keystone. Set back from street behind basement, wrought-iron railings on limestone plinth; gates to south-east, ashlar limestone piers with blind arcading, pyramidal caps, ball finials.
This fine terraced house, one of a group of five, displays simple elegance in its design. In an unembellished façade, the doorway is particularly noteworthy with its rendered surround and decorative fanlight. The retention of sliding sash windows and the railings to the front complete this structure which forms an appealing addition to the streetscape of Dundalk.