Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Social
In Use As
1875 - 1880
Freestanding limestone monument, erected 1879. Polished limestone platform, ashlar plinth, square ashlar monument with pediments to all elevations surmounted by octagonal tower with finial. Pointed arch openings to tower, carved panels with quatrefoil motifs. Moulded limestone raking cornices to pediments, carved finials and kneelers, trefoil recesses to tympana; clasping buttresses to corners; pointed arch recesses, hood mouldings with block stops, chamfered reveals, inner arch with fleurons supported on engaged columns, limestone tracery; carved sandstone plaques to east and west recesses with nautical motifs; marble plaque to south face "Erected by voluntary contribution….. also of the gallant services of the other volunteers of the rescue party, John Lamb, Patrick Galean, Thomas….. who after a heroic struggle to…..their ill-fated comrades reached shore in a state of exhaustion."; marble plaque to north face "In memory of Captain James Joseph Kelly, Gerald Hughes, James Crosby and James Murphy who lost their lives in a noble and humane effort to rescue the crew of the Baroue Mary Stoddard wrecked in Dundalk on the 9th April 1858". Located in triangle at intersection to north of cathedral.
Prominently located in front of the cathedral, this monument, commemorating a marine tragedy in 1858, is a notable landmark within Dundalk. Its striking design, executed in high quality stone craftsmanship, heightens its importance. Of particular merit are the carved sandstone panels to the east and west consisting of anchor and bollard (west) and storm-tossed ship (east) which evoke the nautical underpinnings of the monument.