Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Historical, Social
In Use As
1795 - 1800
Attached eight-bay five-storey stone former distillery, dated 1799, now a museum. Extension to west dated 1877, return to south-east. Pitched slate roofs, clay ridge tiles, painted timber bargeboards, moulded cast-iron gutters on painted timber fascia, circular cast-iron downpipes. Squared coursed rubble walling with dressed limestone quoins; red brick walling to wall tops south-east block. Segmental-headed window openings, block-and-start red brick jambs with gauged brick lintels, bull-nosed soffits and reveals, granite sills, timber casement windows, window openings to ground floor blocked with brick; round-headed window opening to east elevation. Round-headed door opening to 1877 extension, stepped red brick surround, block-and-start jambs, timber-and-glazed doors with sidelights and overlights, original cast-iron hinges visible; segmental-headed door opening west of main door, block-and-start brick jambs, timber-and-glazed door; segmental-headed door opening to east elevation set above ground level, block-and-start brick jambs, granite threshold, metal doors; segmental-headed door opening to north and to south extension, timber doors. Street fronted.
Respectfully restored, this substantial building is an important feature within the historical landscape of Dundalk. Originally part of a distillery, it is a memento of Dundalk's industrial past. Later used as a tobacco warehouse from the 1930s onward, it was donated by Carrolls Tobacco Company to Dundalk Urban District Council in 1989. Refurbished as a museum, the building remains an important part of the social and historic fabric of the town and county.