Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1850 - 1855


305017, 307342

Date Recorded


Date Updated



End-of-terrace three-bay three-storey over basement former town house, built 1851, now in use as surgery. Central entrance, two-storey pitched roof return to north, infilled integral carriage arch to west. Pitched artificial slate roof, clay ridge tiles, unpainted smooth rendered corbelled chimneystacks, moulded cast-iron gutters on eaves corbel course, cast-iron downpipes. Unpainted smooth rendered ruled-and-lined walling, painted stone V-jointed quoins to west. Square-headed window openings, painted stone sills, painted smooth rendered slightly-projecting reveals and soffits, cast-iron balconnettes to first floor, painted timber six-over-six sliding sash windows to ground floor, six-over-six to first floor, three-over-three to second floor, painted timber casement to basement. Round-headed entrance door opening, painted smooth rendered bull-nosed reveal, moulded entablature on engaged Doric columns flanking painted timber door with six raised and fielded panels, petal fanlight, concrete approach steps, cast- and wrought-iron balustrades; elliptical-headed carriage arch, painted smooth rendered bull-nosed reveal, blind painted timber sunburst overpanel, decorative moulded frieze, arch infilled with timber and glass window with central door. Set back from street behind basement area, cast- and wrought-iron railings, stone plinth.


This fine house is part of a superb terrace which appears much earlier than its mid-nineteenth century date would suggest. Retention of original elements such as the balconnettes, fanlight and coach arch contribute to its substantial architectural and historic value. The terrace is of special interest for being entirely symmetrical about a central axis with a three-two-three-two-three rhythm with subtle variations, all of which respect the overall composition.