Survey Data

Reg No

13705008


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Social


Original Use

Town/county hall


In Use As

Town/county hall


Date

1855 - 1865


Coordinates

304919, 307336


Date Recorded

01/08/2005


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Attached seven-bay two-storey municipal building, built 1859-64. Slightly recessed central bay with deeper recessed open porch. Roof concealed behind sandstone balustraded parapet on blocking course and cornice with panelled dies; central feature consisting of central segmental pediment carrying urn on moulded and fluted consoles over panelled pilasters flanking recessed clock flanked by projecting square piers with recessed panels, carved shields to south faces, segmental pediment caps. V-jointed rusticated ashlar granite walling to ground floor, moulded plinth, vermiculated quoins, plaque commemorating 1975 bombing between windows, roll-moulded string course above windows; painted smooth rendered walling to first floor, plain V-jointed stone quoins, panelled sandstone dado on moulded cornice below windows; central bay with cornice supported by moulded modillions over entrance. Round-headed window openings to ground floor, painted recessed roll-moulded reveals, painted moulded stone sills, painted moulded dropped keystones; segmental-headed window openings to first floor, moulded sandstone lugged-and-kneed surrounds capped by roundels flanked by miniature consoles; central tripartite window with cornice and segmental pediment supported on fluted carved consoles over panelled pilasters, round-headed sidelights flanking segmental-headed central opening, moulded sandstone architraves; painted timber casement windows. Square-headed opening to recessed porch, moulded sandstone entablature, painted Ionic columns with volutes in antis; painted timber glazed and panelled double doors, sidelights and overlights, Ionic pilastered jambs with egg-and-dart capitals, all glazing with quadrant corners; porch lantern; metal gates. Street facing, courthouse extension to east and west.

Appraisal

Dundalk's elaborate Italianate Palazzo Townhall, originally designed by John Murray as a corn exchange, was sold to the Town Commissioners on completion. Now brightly painted it makes a significant impact on the surrounding townscape. The beautiful craftsmanship evident in the stone detailing adds artistic interest. As a town hall it holds important social and historical interest.