Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1860 - 1880
Terraced two-bay three-storey former house, built c. 1870, now in commercial use. Pitched artificial slate roof, clay ridge tiles, unpainted smooth rendered corbelled chimneystack, moulded cast-iron gutters on eaves corbel course. Painted smooth rendered walling, moulded render sill courses, projecting vertical metal shop sign attached at first floor level. Square-headed window openings, painted render architraves, decorative moulded lugged-and-kneed render surrounds, render corbels to sills, painted timber four-over-four horizontally-margined sliding sash windows to first floor, two-over-two to second floor. Painted timber shopfront to ground floor c. 1910, flat-panelled pilasters terminating in scrolled brackets with semi-circular decorative motifs, corniced fascia with painted shop sign added, incorporates square-headed display window on tiled stallriser with multi-pane leaded stained glass overlights, square-headed door opening, painted timber door with two round-headed panels, louvred grille to overlight, granite step. Street fronted, concrete paving to north, one of a group of six built as one terrace with carriage opening giving access to rear of site.
This tall and narrow building forms an integral part of a setpiece consisting of six formally planned houses with a central carriage opening. The group stands out within the streetscape for its fine render detailing to the upper floors which adds to both the architectural and artistic interest. It represents a good example of nineteenth-century architectural developments in the Irish townscape. A handsome early twentieth-century shopfront represents an important survival as such early features are becoming increasingly rare in the Irish townscape, and adds to the architectural and artistic interest of the building.