Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1860 - 1880
End-of-terrace two-bay three-storey former house, built c. 1870, now in use as shop. Shopfront extends into ground floor of neighbouring property to west. Pitched slate roof, clay ridge tiles, corbelled brick chimneystack, moulded cast-iron gutters on eaves corbel course. Painted smooth rendered walling, moulded render sill courses. Square-headed window openings, painted render architraves, decorative moulded lugged-and-kneed render surrounds, render corbels to sills, openings blocked up. Shopfront to ground floor, Tuscan pilasters supporting painted metal fascia, painted timber quadripartite display window on rendered stallriser, square-headed door opening, painted timber glazed door. Street fronted, concrete paving to north, westernmost building of a group of six built as one terrace with carriage opening giving access to rear of site, attached to four-storey building to west.
This tall and narrow building forms an integral part of a setpiece consisting of six formally planned houses with a central carriage opening. The group stands out within the streetscape for its fine render detailing to the upper floors which adds to both the architectural and artistic interest. It represents a good example of nineteenth-century architectural developments in the Irish townscape.