Survey Data

Reg No

13704014


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Historical Social


Original Use

Bank/financial institution


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1840 - 1850


Coordinates

304770, 307153


Date Recorded

10/08/2005


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached three-bay three-storey over basement former bank, built c. 1845, remodelled c. 1930, now in use as bookmakers. Projecting square-profile limestone entrance porch to east, attached via gate and carriage screens to nineteenth-century buildings at north and south. Roof hidden behind parapet wall, smooth rendered chimneystacks, cast-iron gutters to north elevation. Painted smooth rendered walling, banded rustication to ground floor, channelled render to first floor, ruled-and-lined render to second floor, basement and east elevation, plain frieze and projecting cornice, continuous sill courses. Square-headed window openings; render surround with scrolled console brackets supporting cornices surmounted by balustrades to ground floor, timber casements c. 1950; first floor windows set in shallow round-headed recesses with keystones, moulded render surrounds to second floor, painted timber six-over-six sliding sash windows, south basement window now blocked for ATM. Ashlar limestone porch having panelled Corinthian pilasters supporting plain frieze and cornice, limestone balustrade over cornice, square-headed door opening with beaded detailing to moulded surround, timber panelled double door, fish scale pattern glazed overlight, granite steps. Set back from street, segmental-headed carriage arch to north set in smooth rendered ruled-and-lined wall, painted metal doors, limestone ashlar gate piers and cast-iron gates and railings to east.

Appraisal

Designed for the Bank of Ireland by George Halpin, this building was remodelled for Millar and Symes in the first part of the twentieth century. Banded rustication and a robust ashlar entrance porch create an imposing fa├žade, which is characteristic of the deliberately-impressive style often adopted for bank buildings. Fine architectural detailing to porch and gate piers and elaborate console brackets serve to enliven an otherwise somewhat austere appearance. The building stands out within the streetscape for its handsome proportions and set-back position.