Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social

Original Use



1890 - 1910


304935, 307725

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached seven-bay two-storey school, built c. 1900, no longer in use. Return to south, pedimented central breakfront to north, attached to west. Pitched slate roof, clay ridge tiles, smooth rendered corbelled chimneystack, moulded cast-iron gutters on paired eaves corbels, circular cast-iron downpipe. Painted smooth rendered ruled-and-lined walling to north elevation, painted stone plinth, moulded coping to pediment, moulded painted render designs to tympanum of pediment; smooth rendered walling to east and south elevations; carved limestone name plaque "Saint Nicholas National Male & Female Schools" to north elevation. Square-headed window openings, simple moulded render surrounds, painted stone sills on moulded corbels, painted timber casement windows; central ground floor window of pedimented breakfront flanked by painted stone engaged Doric columns supporting corniced entablature; tripartite opening to central first floor window. Square-headed door opening, moulded render surround, timber framed overnight, painted timber double door with six flat panels, granite steps. School fronts onto street to north and east, enclosed yard to south bounded by random rubble stone walls.


This imposing, classically-proportioned building is a dominant feature of the streetscape at the top of Saint Mary's Road. Simple render detailing and a robust Doric window surround add to the impression of authority befitting a school building, the structure also plays an important role in continuing the street- and rooflines. As an educational establishment this building is not only of architectural significance but is also of social interest to the town of Dundalk.