Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Archaeological, Artistic, Social

Original Use


In Use As



1750 - 1790


304814, 307738

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Enclosed Church of Ireland graveyard, established c. 1770, on site of earlier medieval churchyard at Saint Nicholas'. Various table, upright and incumbent stone grave-markers, dating from 1700s to 1913; cut stone pyramidal tomb to south-east, barrel-vaulted rubble stone tomb to south-west. Enclosed to west and east by wrought-iron railings on limestone plinth, wrought-iron gates on gable-fronted limestone piers to north and south, rubble stone boundary walls to north with memorial plaques, to rendered and crenellated wall to south, with plaque. Graveyard situated to south of Saint Nicholas' Church within wooded site.


The graveyard to the south of Saint Nicholas' Church of Ireland church is a hugely significant site within the centre of Dundalk adding to its religious and social history. The church of Saint Nicholas' dates from the fourteenth century and it is possible that this area has been used as a place of burial since then. The graves that are visible today date predominantly from the mid-eighteenth century onwards, until the First World War and a wide variety of types of grave markers, including some unusual tombs, are evident.