Categories of Special Interest
Archaeological, Architectural, Historical, Social
Richmond Fort Barracks
1800 - 1810
Freestanding three-stage stone Martello tower, built c. 1805, ruined in 1922, extensively rebuilt. Circular plan. Conical slate roof, metal finial. Ashlar limestone walling, projecting upper section supported on stone corbels, metal staircase to first stage. Square-headed loop openings, chamfered sills. Squared-headed door opening, timber sheeted door. Ashlar limestone boundary wall, stone coping, ashlar limestone square-profiled gate piers to west, metal gates, cobblestone approach path to west flanked by random rubble and smooth rendered side walls. Situated on elevated site within former military barracks.
This Martello tower, built on a medieval motte, was part of the string of defensive towers that were built during the Napoleonic Wars. This tower was damaged during the War of Independence and was largely rebuilt in 2000. It is a significant addition to the county's architectural heritage.