Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1760 - 1800


308863, 275178

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached three-bay four-storey former house, built c. 1780, now in use as shop and offices. Return and extensions to rear (north) elevation, recent timber shopfront to ground floor south elevation. Hipped slate roof, hidden behind parapet wall, clay ridge and hip tiles, circular cast-iron downpipe. Painted smooth rendered ruled-and-lined walling, painted string course and stone coping to parapet supported by chequer-set corbels. Square-headed window openings, painted smooth rendered reveals, painted stone sills, painted timber one-over-one timber sliding sash windows. Painted timber shopfront, flanking pilasters supporting timber fascia board with painted lettering and dentilled cornice, centrally positioned recessed painted timber glazed double doors, tiled entrance, flanked by angled plane-glazed display windows. Square-headed door opening to east of shopfront, pattern-glazed overlight, painted timber panelled door. Street fronted.


This building, located on the busy commercial West Street, has retained its original modest proportion and scale. The paired window openings, seen on the third floor, indicate that it may once have had a Dutch styled gable to its fa├žade, signifying that the building may be of a much earlier date than the perceived, the hipped slate roof running perpendicular to the street is also evidence of an earlier possible date. This building, though altered over time, plays a significant role in the architectural heritage of Drogheda.