Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use



1780 - 1820


308855, 275279

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached two-bay three-storey over basement house, built, c. 1800, as pair with building to east. Currently unoccupied. Lean-to extension to first floor to south supported on stilts. Hipped slate roof, clay ridge tiles, part hidden by parapet, red brick corbelled chimneystack, cast-iron gutters on stucco corbels, rendered eaves band. Painted smooth rendered ruled-and-lined walling, tooled limestone plinth course. Square-headed window openings, painted stone sills, painted timber six-over-six sliding sash windows, eight-over-eight sliding sash window to ground floor. Round-headed door opening, painted dressed limestone Gibbsian surround, fluted keystone, plain-glazed fanlight, painted timber door with six raised-and-fielded panels, tooled limestone entrance platform approached by limestone step. Basement area bounded by painted tooled stone plinth surmounted by wrought-iron railings. Fronts directly onto street, carpark to rear (south).


This house, built as a pair with its neighbour to the east, makes a positive contribution to the architectural character of the area. The dressed limestone door surround is a particularly noteworthy feature of this house, especially due to the unembellished nature of the remainder of the house. The stonework is finely executed, while the absence of horns on the sliding sash windows is an indicator of the age of the structure highlighting its importance within Fair Street.