Survey Data

Reg No

13619063


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1800 - 1840


Coordinates

308920, 275226


Date Recorded

22/07/2005


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay three-storey house built, c. 1820, now also in use a shop. Bakelite shopfront, c. 1950, to ground floor (east elevation). Hipped slate roof, clay ridge tiles, brick chimneystack and cast-iron and metal rainwater goods. Red brick walling laid in Flemish bond. Square-headed window openings, painted smooth rendered patent reveals, painted stone sills, painted timber one-over-one sliding sash windows. Shopfront comprising black and green bakelite panels, raised plastic lettering, octagonal chrome-framed fixed-pane display windows, square-headed central and north door openings giving access to shop and upper storeys respectively; door openings having narrow chrome band surrounds, plain-glazed overlights, painted timber and glazed door to central opening, timber panelled door to north. Building fronts directly onto street.

Appraisal

This attractive building retains a particularly fine bakelite shopfront, an important survival as the material is becoming an increasing rarity within the Irish townscape. Unusual octagonal window openings are a remarkable feature, adding artistic interest to the fa├žade, and a well-preserved interior is also of note. This building is a fine example of developments in architectural style from the early-nineteenth right through to the twentieth century.