Survey Data

Reg No

13619059


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1780 - 1820


Coordinates

308951, 275224


Date Recorded

22/07/2005


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Attached three-bay four-storey over basement house, c. 1800, now also in commercial use. Rectangular-plan, projecting square-profile rendered shopfront, to ground floor (west elevation). Roof, hidden from view behind parapet. Painted smooth rendered ruled-and-lined walling, plinth course, channelled quoins, painted coping to parapet. Square-headed window openings, painted stone sills, uPVC windows. Round-headed door opening, painted tooled stone surround, panelled pilasters containing patera flank entrance supporting corniced lintel and archivolt with prominent keystone detail, plain-glazed fanlight, painted timber and glazed door, tiled entrance platform approached by rendered steps, flanked by railings. Shopfront to ground floor comprising painted timber tripartite display window surmounted by painted fascia board. Building fronts directly onto busy commercial street.

Appraisal

This house, located on a busy commercial street, displays a particularly fine stone doorcase, with carved patera and panelling, which adds considerable architectural and artistic interest to the fa├žade. Imposing but carefully balanced proportions make this building a prominent feature of the streetscape. Its roof height adds variety to the roofline while the classically balanced proportions help maintain the overall character of this largely nineteenth-century streetscape.