Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Social
In Use As
1900 - 1920
Corner-sited attached two-bay three-storey former post office, built c. 1910, now in use as retail outlet. Built as a group with the adjoining building to north. Chamfered entrance bay to south-west corner, projecting bow-fronted oriel window to south-west, slightly projecting bay to first floor of west elevation, shopfront to ground floor. Pitched and hipped slate roofs hidden by parapet wall, clay ridge and hip tiles, red brick corbelled chimneystacks, gutter hidden by parapet, circular cast-iron downpipes. Red brick walling laid in English bond, slightly projecting chamfered stone plinth to south elevation, red brick stepping below slightly projecting bay to first floor of west elevation surmounted by recessed panel; red brick corbelled string courses, red brick cornice, ashlar limestone coping to parapet; smooth rendered walling to east elevation. Segmental-headed window openings, stone sills, uPVC casement windows. Shopfront comprising, large display windows, limestone sills, flanked by red brick pilasters, limestone capitals supporting painted timber fascia board and cornice; shop entrance on south-west corner, round-headed door opening, tooled ashlar limestone block-and-start surround, fabric canopy, varnished timber, glazed and panelled double doors, tooled limestone step to entrance. Round-headed door opening, moulded brick arch, limestone keystone, carved stone cornice supported by console brackets surmounting door and sidelight to north, stained-glass leaded fanlight and sidelight, painted timber door with four flat panels, limestone threshold. Street fronted.
This fine early-twentieth-century building, built as one of a group with its neighbour to the north, is located at a prominent position at the corner of one of Drogheda's main streets. It has an interesting layout with various bay and oriel projections giving architectural interest. The red brick detailing used in its construction gives an added artistic element to the structure as do the original shopfronts which enlivens the facade. This building, located directly to the north of Saint Laurence's' Gate, offers much to Drogheda's architectural heritage.