Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1870
Attached three-bay three-storey house, built c. 1850, now also in use as shop. Attached to three-bay two-storey bakery with integral carriage arch to east. Pitched slate roof to west, hipped to east, clay ridge and hip tiles, red brick corbelled chimneystacks, cast-iron and aluminium gutters, circular cast-iron and uPVC downpipes. Smooth rendered ruled-and-lined walling, block-and-start quoins to west building. Bakelite and chrome shopfront c. 1950, painted smooth rendered repaired panels and stall-risers surmounted by large display windows, central square-headed door opening, terrazzo tiled flooring, timber and glazed double doors, lettering to fascia. Painted timber fascia board to east with cornice. Square-headed window openings, painted moulded render surrounds, painted stone sills to west, painted timber one-over-one timber sliding sash windows; painted smooth rendered patent reveals to east, painted stone sills, painted timber two-over-two sliding sash windows. Square-headed door opening to west accessing living accommodation having timber panelled door; square-headed carriage arch to east, painted timber vertically-sheeted double doors. Corner-sited, street fronted.
This pair of buildings with differing roof lines forms an attractive group on Trinity Street. An attractive example of a bakelite shopfront, a style which is characteristic of the 1950's but is now disappearing, can be seen on the western structure and forms an attractive contrast to the simple timber fascia and cornice on the eastern structure. Full of fine quality, materials and character, McCloskey's Bakery is a local landmark and enhances its streetscape.