Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1820
Single-arch humpbacked canal bridge carrying road over Royal Canal, built c. 1815. Round/elliptical-headed arch with dressed ashlar limestone voussoirs and dressed ashlar limestone masonry to barrel. Squared rubble limestone construction to spandrel walls, formerly rendered, with cut limestone string course at road/deck level. Squared rubble stone construction to parapets (formerly rendered) with curving ends terminated in dressed ashlar limestone piers (on square-plan). Dressed limestone coping over parapet walls. Towpath to south bank of canal with dressed limestone retaining walls to canal banks (north and south). Located to the northwest of Abbeyshrule, a short distance to the east of the Whitworth Aqueduct (13402337). Single-arch culvert to the east carrying canal over small stream having dressed limestone voussoirs to round-headed arch having projecting keystone, and rubble stone construction.
A typically well-built canal bridge, which is a valuable part of the extensive canal-related built and industrial heritage of County Longford. Although humble in form, this structure has a simple and functional elegance. It is robustly built in good-quality stone masonry, which is testament to the long-term ambitions of the Directors General of Inland Navigation (who took over responsibility for the Royal Canal following the dissolution of the Royal Canal Company in 1813) at the start of the nineteenth century. It was probably built to designs by John Killaly (1766 – 1832), the engineer responsible for the construction of the Royal Canal between Coolnahay to Cloondara, which started in 1814 and was completed in 1817 (28 years after the canal work was started in Dublin). The main contractors involved were Henry, Mullins and McMahon. The towpath provides a recreational amenity and this bridge affords interesting views to the pedestrian as well as being a notable feature and landmark in the landscape to the northeast of Abbeyshrule. The simple culvert to the east adds to the setting and is an integral element of the transport heritage of Longford in its own right. Quinn`s Bridge takes its name from a local family of landowners during the early-nineteenth century. It is known locally as 'Morris`s Bridge' after the Morris family, who lived close to the bridge since the 1840s.