Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1820
Canal lock associated with Royal Canal, built c. 1815, consisting of pair of restored timber and steel breast gates with timber footboards and balance beams. Set within ashlar limestone lock chamber with ashlar limestone capstones with bevelled edges. Timber mooring post at intervals between gates. Associated lock keeper's house (13402224) to the southwest. Located to the south of Pake Bridge (13402219) and to the southwest of Barry.
This well-built canal lock that forms part of an important group of structures associated with the Royal Canal in County Longford. The quality of the ashlar limestone construction of the lock walls is indicative of the grandiose ambitions of the Royal Canal Company during the early part of the nineteenth century. It was probably built to designs by John Killaly (1766 – 1832), the engineer responsible for the construction of this part of the Royal Canal. This lock has been designed and constructed with a high level of expertise indicating the importance of its role in the past and remains an important element of the architectural and industrial heritage of County Longford. It forms part of a group of related structures along with the associated local keeper’s house to the southwest (13402224) and is a worthy addition to the built heritage of the local area.