Survey Data

Reg No

13400812


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Previous Name

Lismoy Upper


Original Use

House


Date

1780 - 1820


Coordinates

211955, 279885


Date Recorded

27/07/2005


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached four-bay two-storey house, built c. 1800 and altered c. 1860, having two-storey flat-roofed extension to the rear (north). Pitched natural slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles and three ruled-and-lined rendered chimneystacks, one to either end and a larger chimneystack to the centre. Raised verge to the west gable end. Roughcast rendered walls over smooth rendered plinth. Square-headed window openings with replacement windows, bipartite round-headed window opening to centre of main elevation (south) at first floor level having moulded surround with console brackets and cornice, and having replacement windows. Tooled limestone sills to all windows. Recessed segmental-headed door opening to front elevation with replacement door. Set within extensive grounds to the east of Newtown-Forbes.

Appraisal

Despite some alterations and the loss of the original fittings to the openings, this unusual house retains much of its early character and form. The proportions and scale of this building are unusual, suggesting that it might contain earlier fabric. The bipartite round-headed window adds artistic interest to the otherwise plain front façade. This window is a later addition, perhaps added c. 1860. The location of the main doocase suggests that this building may have been extended to the east by a bay at some stage. This building formerly had a substantial return to the rear (Ordnance Survey maps 1838 and 1914) but this has been demolished and replaced with a modern return. This building forms the centrepiece of a group of related structures along with the substantial outbuilding to the west (13400811) and the gateway (13303019) and gate lodge (13303032) to the southwest, and is an integral element of the built heritage of the Newtown-Forbes area. This house was possibly in the ownership of a George Beatty in 1798 (deed). It was later the home of a Rev. J. Mitchell in 1837 (Lewis), perhaps rented; a Thomas Gosselin, Esq., in 1841 (newspaper article); and 1846 (Slater’s Directory). In 1852, the Commissioners for the Sale of Encumbered Estates Ireland sold(?) the house and lands to Nicholas McCann for £3800 (it was in the ownership of a George Beatty Moore prior to this). It was later the property of a Mrs McCann in 1881 (Slater’s Directory) and a Michael McCann in 1894 (Slater’s Directory).