Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1930 - 1945
Wall-mounted cast-iron post box, erected between 1924 - 46, with raised 'P&T' monogram in Gaelic script to head and foundry mark to base. Set into rendered pier adjacent to rendered wall. Located along road in the rural landscape the south of Moyne, adjacent to road junction. House adjacent to the north.
This mid twentieth-century post box is of a simple design, its Celtic Revival style lettering typical of the early post Independence period in Ireland. It represents an example of early mass-produced cast-iron work making a pleasant, if discreet contribution to the rural landscape to the south of Moyne. This post box is prominently located adjacent to a road junction, a common site for post boxes for obvious reasons. The decorative lettering enhances a functional item.