Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1750 - 1800
Triple-arch road bridge over a tributary of the River Inny, built c. 1775. Coursed rubble limestone construction to spandrels and parapets. Three segmental-headed arches with rock-faced voussoirs to central arch and dressed limestone voussoirs to side arches. Full-height coursed rubble limestone V-cutwaters to southeast elevation. Limestone stiles to east and west ends of south wall. Located to the west of Legan.
This triple-arch road bridge is a well designed and finely executed bridge, which was clearly constructed by skilled craftsmen. The arches form an attractive, rhythmical silhouette in the landscape to the west of Legan. The juxtaposition of the roughly dressed limestone voussoirs and rubble limestone masonry walls forms an interesting textural contrast. The stiles are an unusual feature that adds further interest to the bridge. The narrow plan and the small arches suggest that it dates to the second half of a eighteenth century (or earlier), a period which saw a great deal of bridge building in Ireland, particularly by the Grand Juries (the forerunners of the County Councils). The rock-faced voussoirs to the central arch suggest that it was rebuilt later, perhaps during the mid-nineteenth century. A millpond and a corn mill were located adjacent to the bridge on the south side during the early nineteenth century (Ordnance Survey first edition six-inch map 1838). This bridge is an interesting feature in the rural landscape to the west of Legan and an important element of the built heritage of the local area.