Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Technical

Original Use

Canal overflow


1810 - 1820


211225, 263564

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Overflow for Royal Canal, built c. 1817, now disused. Ashlar limestone stepped construction with segmental-headed opening to overflow basin having tooled cut limestone voussoirs. Sited on the east bank of the canal. Located to the west of Keenagh and to the northwest of Mosstown Harbour (13313020).


A finely executed canal overflow that, though now disused and overgrown, retains its original form. The quality of the ashlar limestone construction is indicative of the grandiose ambitions of the Royal Canal Company during the early part of the nineteenth century. It has been designed and constructed with a high level of expertise indicating the importance of its role in the past and it represents an important element of the architectural and industrial heritage of County Longford. It is one of the few remaining canal overflows in County Longford. This structure is one of a number of important canal structures in the area, all of which serve as an important reminder of the optimism and industriousness of the canal building era prior to the demise of this transport system in favour of rail and road transport.