Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Historical
In Use As
1915 - 1925
Gateway serving Mosstown House (demolished), rebuilt c. 1920, comprising a pair of ashlar limestone gate piers (on square-plan) having carved limestone base/plinths with string course, moulded capstones and surmounted by carved sandstone eagle motifs. Concrete boundary walls with moulded stone dealing and cut limestone coping to either side (north and south). Ruinous single-storey gate lodge of random rubble limestone construction with pointed arch openings adjacent to the north, built c. 1830. Located to the north of Keenagh and to the east of the site of Mosstown House.
This fine gateway formerly served as the main entrance to Mosstown House, demolished in 1962. Fine stone craftsmanship is apparent in the ashlar limestone piers and the carved sandstone eagle finials. The gate piers were apparently built after the first World War by Belgian refugees, replacing (and possibly incorporating the fabric of) and earlier gateway to site. The ruinous gate lodge to the north, which has a Gothic Revival feel on account of the pointed arch openings, adds to the setting. It acts as an historical reminder of Mosstown House (built c. 1680) and is an interesting feature in the landscape to the north of Keenagh.