Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1820
Canal lock associated with Royal Canal, built c. 1815, consisting of pair of timber and steel breast gates with timber footboards and balance beams. Set within ashlar limestone lock chamber with ashlar limestone capstones having bevelled edges. Associated lock keeper's house (13311005) to the west. Located to the northeast of Killashee. Canal (now dry) widens to the south to form harbour.
This well-built canal lock that forms part of an important group of structures associated with the Royal Canal to the northeast of Killashee. The quality of the construction is indicative of the grandiose ambitions of the Directors General of Inland Navigation (who took over responsibility for the Royal Canal following the dissolution of the Royal Canal Company in 1813) during the early part of the nineteenth century. It was probably built to designs by John Killaly (1766 – 1832), the engineer responsible for the construction of this part of the Royal Canal. This lock has been designed and constructed with a high level of expertise indicating the importance of its role in the past and remains an important element of the architectural and industrial heritage of County Longford. It forms part of a group of related structures along with Savage Bridge (13311006) and the associated lock keeper’s house (13311007) and is a worthy addition to the built heritage of the Killashee area.