Survey Data

Reg No

13310003


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1800 - 1830


Coordinates

200629, 269278


Date Recorded

26/07/2005


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Semi-detached two-bay three-storey with attic storey house, built c. 1815, one of a pair with the building adjacent to the southeast (13310004). Pitched slate roof with limestone coping to gable end, two rendered chimneystacks and cast-iron rainwater goods. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls, roughcast to northwest gable elevation, with render quoins to the corner. Square-headed window openings with limestone sills, replacement timber windows to second floor, six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows to first floor and replacement window to ground floor. Round-headed door opening with replacement door, fanlight and having dressed limestone block-and-start surround with carved limestone cornice to lintel. Slightly set back from the street with rendered boundary walls to road-frontage. Shared pedestrian gateway having rendered piers and iron gate. Located to the northwest end of Lanesborough.

Appraisal

This house, of late-Georgian appearance, retains its early form, character and much of its early fabric despite some alterations to the ground floor openings. Its tall form makes it an imposing and important feature on the streetscape. It retains interesting features such as the timber sliding sash windows and its fa├žade is enlivened by the well-crafted cut stone doorcase and cornice, which is of artistic merit. It forms an interesting pair with its neighbour to the southeast (13310004) and represents an integral element of the built heritage of Lanesborough. Sensitively restored, this building would have a significant contribution to the historic character of the town. Either this building or its neighbour was in use as a post office in 1914 (Ordnance Survey third edition six-inch map).