Categories of Special Interest
1815 - 1820
Canal lock associated with Royal Canal, built c. 1815, currently being restored. Consisting of one pair of timber and steel breast gates with timber footboards and balance beams. Gates to one end now removed. Set within ashlar limestone lock chamber with ashlar limestone capstones having bevelled edges. Located to the south of Cloondara and Richmond Harbour (13307014). Associated lock keeper's house to the west now demolished.
This well-constructed canal lock that forms part of an important group of structures associated with the Royal Canal at Cloondara. The quality of the ashlar limestone construction of the lock chamber is indicative of the grandiose ambitions of the Directors General of Inland Navigation (who took over responsibility for the Royal Canal following the dissolution of the Royal Canal Company in 1813) during the early part of the nineteenth century. This lock has been designed and constructed with a high level of expertise indicating the importance of its role in the past and it remains an important element of the architectural and industrial heritage of County Longford. It was probably built to designs by John Killaly (1766 – 1832), the engineer responsible for the construction of much of the Royal Canal in County Longford. Currently undergoing restoration as part of works to reopen this section of the canal. Associated lock keeper's house to the west now demolished.