Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Historical, Social
In Use As
1820 - 1830
Terraced three-bay two-storey former canal office, dated 1825, now in use as private house. Pitched artificial slate roof with a rendered chimneystack to the north gable end and with cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted wetdashed walls over smooth rendered plinth. Carved limestone date plaque to the south side of doorway. Square-headed window openings with painted sills and one-over-one timber sliding sash windows. Central round-headed door opening with replacement timber panelled door and replacement spoked fanlight. Located to the east side of Richmond Harbour (13307014).
Now in use as a private house, this was built as an office for the Royal Canal Company, like its neighbour to the north. Its symmetry and simplicity make it a pleasing feature on the harbourside. One of many canal structures in Cloondara, it makes a notable coherent scheme with Richmond Harbour, the other buildings ranged on the dockside, Richmond Bridge, the dry dock, and the nearby lock and lock keeper's house. Indeed most of the core of the town of Cloondara was planned to serve the needs of the Royal Canal. The ‘V.S’ to the date plaque may be initials of one Valesius Skipton, once owner of Clogher/Springfield to the south of Cloondara.