Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Historical, Social
In Use As
1817 - 1825
Attached four-bay (two-bay to upper floor) two-storey house, built c. 1820. Pitched artificial slate roof with rendered chimneystack. Painted wetdashed rendered walls over smooth rendered plinth. Square-rubble stone construction evident to the north gable end Square-headed window openings with painted sills, having fixed two pane timber windows to first floor and two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows to ground floor. Central square-headed doorway with overlight. Square-headed carriage arch opening to the north end of the front façade (west) having timber battened double doors. Vehicular entrance to side with cut limestone gate pier (on square-plan) and corrugated-metal gate. Located to the east side of Richmond Harbour (13307014).
This simple two-storey house was apparently originally in use as an office for the Royal Canal Company (along with its neighbour to the south; 13307020). It retains much of its early form, character and fabric. The irregular spacing to the openings gives this building a vernacular quality, which is an unusual characteristic at Richmond Harbour. One of many canal structures in Cloondara, it forms part of a large group of related structures along with Richmond Harbour (13307014), its neighbours to the east side of Richmond Harbour, Richmond Bridge (13307013), the dry dock (13307015), and the nearby lock (13307017) and lock keeper's house (13307016).