Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1815 - 1820
Canal lock associated with Royal Canal, built c. 1815, consisting of two pairs of timber and steel breast gates with timber footboards and balance beams. Set within ashlar limestone lock chamber with ashlar limestone capstones having bevelled edges. Associated lock keeper's house (13303016) to the east. Located between Camlin River (north) and Richmond Harbour (13303014) to the south. Ashlar limestone retaining walls to the north end at mouth of canal.
This well-built canal lock that forms part of an important group of structures associated with the Royal Canal at Cloondara. The quality of the ashlar limestone construction is indicative of the grandiose ambitions of the Directors General of Inland Navigation (who took over responsibility for the Royal Canal following the dissolution of the Royal Canal Company in 1813) during the early part of the nineteenth century. This lock has been designed and constructed with a high level of expertise indicating the importance of its role in the past and it represents an integral element of the architectural and industrial heritage of County Longford. It forms part of a coherent scheme along with Richmond Harbour (13307014), Richmond Bridge (13307013) at the far end of the harbour, and the nearby lock keeper's house (13307016). Still in use today, it allows passage from the Shannon via the Camlin River to Richmond Harbour. It is the final lock on the Royal Canal. It was probably built to designs by John Killaly (1766 – 1832), the engineer responsible for the construction of the Royal Canal.