Categories of Special Interest
1815 - 1820
Canal dry dock, built 1817. Oblong in plan, having stepped cut limestone walls, limestone paving with central drainage channel and an integral staircase to north end of east side. Pair of timber and steel lock gates with timber balance arms to the south end (harbour) and timber sluice/drainage gate to the north end. Situated to the north end of Richmond Harbour (13303014).
This canal dry dock is the only example of its type in County Longford and represents an important element of the architectural and industrial heritage of the county. It is made of well cut and laid limestone, and its curving edges create a pleasingly symmetrical geometric form. The quality of the dressed limestone construction is indicative of the grandiose ambitions of the Royal Canal Company during the early part of the nineteenth century. It forms part of a coherent scheme with Richmond Harbour (13303014), Richmond Bridge (13303013) at the far end of the harbour, and the nearby lock (13303017) and keeper's house (13303016). It was probably built to designs by John Killaly (1766 - 1832), the engineer responsible for the construction of the Royal Canal, including Richmond Harbour (13307014).