Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1937 - 1950
Freestanding cast-iron pillar post box, erected c. 1940, with raised "P&T" monogram in Gaelic script, moulded necking having inscribed frieze, and shallow domed capping. Situated on a footpath to the west end of Dublin Street and to the southeast of Longford Town centre.
This attractive item of street furniture has a subtle impact on the historic character of the streetscape. It is a fine example of good quality mass-produced cast-iron work. The Celtic style lettering is interesting as a reminder of the promotion of a national identity upon the establishment of an independent state. This particular design probably dates to after c. 1937 as earlier post-independence post boxes usually had a 'SE' cipher. It makes a positive contribution to the streetscape of Longford Town.