Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1910 - 1920
Terraced two-bay two-storey local authority house, built c. 1915. One of a group of twenty two. Now in use as a private house. Pitched artificial slate roof with shared red brick chimneystack to the north end. Painted roughcast rendered walls over smooth rendered plinth. Square-headed window openings with painted sills and rendered reveals. Three-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows to first floor openings, one-over-one pane timber sliding sash window to ground floor window opening. Square-headed doorway with rendered reveals and timber battened door. Situated in an L-plan terrace fronting onto a green space. Located to the west of Longford Town centre.
This modest early-twentieth century local authority house retains its original form and much of its early character. It is unusual in retaining windows and door, as many other houses in the terrace have lost their original fabric. It was built by the Longford Town Commissioners and dates to a period when a great many houses of this type were built in Ireland following the passing of the various Land and Labourers' Acts (c. 1883 - 1921) by the British Parliament in the late-nineteenth and early-twentieth centuries and they are a feature of the outskirts of many of the larger Irish towns. The vast majority of these buildings are now heavily altered, as is the case along St. Brigid's Terrace. This modest structure is an interesting part of the social history and built heritage of Longford Town and it reflects the growth of Longford Town to the west at the time.