Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Historical, Social
In Use As
1838 - 1850
Corner-sited attached three-bay three-storey structure, built c. 1845. Possibly originally built as a warehouse/store associated with the former canal harbour and formerly in use as the Royal Canal Ticket Office, Longford Town. Pitched slate roof with central pair of re-built brick chimneystacks and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted roughcast rendered walls with raised render quoins to the corners. Square-headed window openings with painted sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Central square-headed entrance opening with replacement timber panelled door. Landscaped garden to front with painted rendered boundary wall, capped gate piers and wrought-iron gate. Painted roughcast rendered wall to west elevation with timber panelled door. Located to the southwest of Longford Town centre and to the north of the former Royal Canal harbour, now filled in.
This substantial if rather austere building was formerly in use as the Royal Canal Passenger Ticket Office, Grand Canal and forms part of the extensive canal heritage of County Longford. The form, dimensions of the openings and scale of this building suggests that it may have been originally built as a warehouse or corn store. Although now altered for use as a house, this building is an interesting historical reminder of the once extensive canal network of Ireland and it makes a positive contrition to the streetscape of Longford Town.