Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Social
In Use As
1885 - 1890
Detached seven-bay two-storey second level school, built 1886, with advanced gabled entrance bay to the centre of the front elevation (west). Several late-twentieth century extensions and auxiliary buildings to rear (east). Half-hipped and pitched slate roofs with terracotta ridge cresting, terracotta finials, decorative barge boards and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted roughcast rendered walls with smooth render platbands, flush limestone quoins to corners and plinth. Cast figure of the Virgin Mary on bracket with moulded canopy to entrance gable. Shield plaque to entrance gable. Pointed and shallow segmental-headed window openings with painted sills. Window dressings using limestone voussoirs and keystones, red and blue brick voussoirs. One-over-one and two-over-two timber sliding sash windows, some paired, some having overlights with vertical glazing bars. Round openings to gables with carved limestone quatrefoil and red brick surrounds. Pointed arch entrance opening with rebated reveal in moulded red and blue brick. Recessed timber battened double leaf door, accessed via concrete steps. Rock-faced snecked limestone boundary walls with elaborate cast-iron railings and wrought-iron double leaf gates. Situated in paved and landscaped surrounds. Located to the southeast of Longford Town centre.
This imposing late nineteenth-century school building retains its early form and character. The elevations are enlivened by the polychrome brick detailing and by the variety in roofline and the window openings. Significant in its own right, and also as one of a group of structures associated with the Convent of Mercy (13004040), which defines the character of this streetscape. The elaborate cast-iron railings, the wrought-iron gates and the boundary wall complete the setting and add to this composition.