Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1835 - 1840
Corner-sited end-of-terrace three-bay three-storey house, built 1838 with two-storey extension with gabled dormers to rear (south). Hipped slate roof with two central rendered chimneystacks and cast-iron rainwater goods. Render removed to show coursed rubble sandstone wall construction with dressed limestone quoins to the corners at the west end. Square-headed window openings with red brick construction visible. A mixture of timber frame hopper and replacement uPVC windows, and limestone sills. Round-headed entrance opening having carved limestone block-and-start surround with moulded architrave, moulded archivolt and keystone. Timber panelled door and spoked fanlight. Small landscaped area to front elevation enclosed by low limestone boundary wall with carved stone piers and wrought-iron railings to street. Rubble sandstone wall to site boundary to the rear. Located to the southeast of Longford Town centre.
An attractive and substantial house, which retains its early form and character despite the removal of render. The symmetry of the façade is visually pleasing, and its relative austerity is enlivened by an attractive door surround. Provision of a private area between the house and the street is relatively unusual for Longford town and augments the appearance and significance of this structure. It forms part of a uniform terrace and it makes a positive contribution to the streetscape to the southeast of Longford Town centre. The simple boundary wall, railings and gateposts complete the setting. Lord Longford leased the site of this terrace to a Patrick Keon in 1838, stipulating that the dwelling houses to be built within 6 months. Probably built to designs by Kevin V. Carroll, who was responsible for No. 6, Keon's Terrace (13004003). The Sisters of Mercy had a convent in two houses on Keon’s Terrace from 1861 to c. 1874.