Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1835 - 1840


213468, 275188

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced four-bay three-storey former house, built 1838, now in use as offices. Pitched artificial slate roof with rooflights inserted. Rendered chimneystacks and cast-iron rainwater goods. Unpainted rendered walls, lined-and-ruled. Square-headed window openings with stone sills and replacement windows. Segmental-headed entrance opening having painted stone block-and-start surround with moulded architrave, moulded archivolt and keystone. Early timber panelled door and spoked fanlight. Small paved area to front enclosed by low limestone boundary wall with carved stone piers and wrought-iron railings to street. Located to the southeast of Longford Town centre.


An attractive and substantial house, which retains its early form and character. The relatively austere façade is enlivened by an attractive cut stone door surround. Provision of a private area between the house and the street is relatively unusual for Longford town and augments the appearance and significance of this structure. It forms part of a uniform terrace and it makes a positive contribution to the streetscape to the southeast of Longford Town centre. The simple wrought-iron railings, limestone plinth wall and the gateposts complete the setting. Lord Longford leased the site of this terrace to a Patrick Keon in 1838, stipulating that the dwelling houses to be built within 6 months. It was built to designs by Kevin V. Carroll. The Sisters of Mercy had a convent in two houses on Keon’s Terrace from 1861 to c. 1874.