Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1910 - 1920
End-of-terrace two-bay two-storey local authority house, built c. 1915. One of a group of twenty two. Now in use as a private house. Pitched slate roof with moulded red brick chimneystack to the west end and with cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted roughcast rendered walls over smooth rendered plinth. Square-headed window openings with painted sills, rendered reveals and three-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed doorway with rendered reveals and timber battened door. Set in the corner of an L-plan terrace fronting onto a green space. Located to the west of Longford Town centre.
This modest early-twentieth century local authority house retains its original form, fabric and character. It is the best surviving example in a group of twenty two houses, arranged in an L-shaped plan around a green area. It was originally built by the Longford Town Commissioners and dates to a period when a great many houses of this type were built in Ireland following the passing of the various Land and Labourers' Acts (c. 1883 - 1921) by the British Parliament in the late-nineteenth and early-twentieth centuries and they are a feature of the outskirts of many of the larger Irish towns. The vast majority of these buildings are now heavily altered, as is the case along St. Brigid's Terrace, making this structure a rare survival. This modest structure is an interesting part of the social history and built heritage of Longford Town and it reflects the growth of Longford Town to the west at the time.